Firefighters respond to house fire in Pismo Beach
Firefighters responded to a house fire Tuesday afternoon in Pismo Beach.
The property was a new house under construction in the 1200 block of the Costa Brava, behind the Town Hall and F. McLintocks Dining and Lounge on Maddie Road.
The fire started around 4:25 p.m. and was brought under control shortly thereafter.
Cal Fire Pismo Beach Battalion Chief Paul Lee said crews will be working at the scene for a few hours.
Lee said the fire caused the second story of the house to collapse, but no one was hurt because the house was unoccupied at the time.
The flames also damaged the two neighboring houses.
Because the house was under construction, there were no fire alarms or sprinklers installed yet to quell the flames earlier.
Owner Brian Mclaughlin told The Tribune that two plasterers were working in the house when their power tool battery exploded, starting the fire. He said he had been building the house for about eight months.
Tom Corbridge, a retired Santa Monica firefighter who lives next door, said he heard banging and walked out to find the patio of the house on fire. His wife called 911 as he grabbed a hose to protect his home and tried to contain the flames until firefighters arrived.
The combination of the fire and rush hour traffic slowed southbound traffic on the 101 Freeway to Avila Beach Drive, according to Caltrans Quick Map. Traffic cameras showed cars moving slowly south, although traffic returned to normal speeds by early evening.
This story was originally published February 1, 2022 5:15 p.m.