Developers Offer 20- and 23-Story Condos in Lincoln


The town of Lincoln has spent years developing a secondary plan for the Prudhommes property, but despite all the work, one developer argues enough has changed since 2019 to justify increased heights.

Consultants on behalf of LJM Developments presented their plan for a piece of the Prudhommes region. The proposal would see 20- and 23-story buildings constructed at 3221 North Service Rd. In total, there would be 431 units, with the majority being one or two bedroom units ranging in size from 40 to 84 square meters.

The proposal has met resistance from residents and councilors, who see it as too large, with units both too numerous and too small. They are also concerned about the number of parking spaces and the size of those spaces.

“Am I right in thinking that the world has changed so much that the secondary level should not be taken into account more? Mayor Sandra Easton asked the promoters. The city’s secondary plan provides for a maximum of 15 floors, but with provisions that the number of floors allowed must be in addition to any floor primarily used to accommodate the required parking facilities.

However, consultant Franz Kloibhofer, from AJ Clarke and Associates Ltd., said things have changed dramatically even in the short time since the implementation of the secondary plan.

“We are in an unprecedented housing crisis,” he said.

Kloibhofer said their job is to balance municipal plans and guidelines with the latest provincial policies and goals and believes the proposal they put forward is justified.

Several advisers also pointed out that the 1.25 parking spaces per unit would probably not be enough.

While this was the first time that advisers had seen the proposals in a formal setting, and no approvals or decisions had been made one way or the other, staff had already negotiated with the developers. Initially, LJM offered heights of 25 and 28 floors with a total of 516 units. The updated proposal also increases the parking ratio to 1.25 spaces per unit, down from 1.14 originally.

Questions were raised as to why staff would even allow a proposal that goes beyond the boundaries of the secondary plan to be presented to the board. Chief administrator Mike Kirkopoulos said the city could just say no, but that could put them in a worse position in the event of an appeal to the Planning Appeal Tribunal, which “means that we have less control over the end result “.

“The role we play is to make sure that what the board has in front of you is something better for the community,” he said.

“I remain concerned with this proposal and its density on the current footprint. This is a 1.6 acre site. I hope after the feedback from the boards the developer will come back to the table with something. different, ”he said in an email after the meeting. “We are far from being the final shape this building will take.”

Part of the proposal would also see the developers providing $ 300,000 to benefit the community. Kloibhofer said this was a number in line with similar plans in the area, but councilors and residents believed the number to be low.

“The $ 300,000 offered seems like a pittance,” said resident Robert Thompson.

UPDATE – November 16, 2021: This story has been updated from a previous version to include additional comments from CAO Mike Kirkopoulos.


Comments are closed.